I was that child who watched Snow White a million times and I always wondered what those famous gooseberries were that she baked into her pie and then one day as I was shopping in Trader Joes, I picked up a package of Golden Berries that said “aka gooseberries” on the label and I almost did a flip.
So the only natural thing to do was buy 4 packs of them and attempt to make gooseberry pie. I have to say, the berries are MUCH more sour than I thought so I was pretty skeptical about how it would turn out, but luckily the sugar cut the tartness and the pie was AMAZING.
I’m not a pic fruit pie person but this one was genuinely one of my favorites because it was so unique and I loved the flavor. If you can get your hands on some gooseberries or golden berries, you will love this pie!!
Hope you enjoy!
Snow White’s Gooseberry Pie
- 1 pint of gooseberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1 Tbs butter
- 2 eggs (separated)
- 2 premade pie crusts (sheet will work great or you can make from scratch)
- Add gooseberries and water to a sauce pan and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain some of the water and add the sugar, flour and butter.
- Beat 2 egg yolks and slowly add them in.
- Stir and cook on medium low until it gets thick.
- Add mixture to a frozen pie crust.
- Cover pie with more pie crust (you can do the lattice or cover it fully using a sheet crust or you can be like me and use an extra pie crust from a dish, really anything will work haha!)
- Brush the top with the remaining egg whites and sprinkle with sugar
- Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Serve (preferably with ice cream) and ENJOY!