I have dreams of walking into Chipotle and being offered guac at no extra charge. Any one else??
Thankfully I’ve found a recipe that’s pretty dang close to what you get lathered on your meal at our beloved Chipotle and the great thing is you can pile it as high as you want.
Here’s the recipe! P.S. I’m also adding a bonus recipe to this post: my recreation of a Chipotle Burrito Bowl. YAY!
DIY Chipotle Guacamole
- 2 Large Avocados
- 1 Lime
- Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup red onions, chopped (optional)
- Peel Avocados and scoop flesh into a bowl and lightly mash with a fork. Squeeze the juice of 1 lime and about 1tsp lemon juice into the avocados. 2 Tbs chopped cilantro and a generous sprinkle of salt. (add onions if you are using them) Mash and mix until you’re happy with the consistency and adjust salt to taste.
Pro Tip: keep the pit of the avocado to put in your leftovers (if you have any) to help it form turning brown!
DIY Chipotle Burrito Bowl
For the Steak:
- 4 pounds of Stir Fry Steak (or you can get a regular steak and cut it up)
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbs Adobo Sauce
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 Tbs Cayenne Pepper (or less if you’re a wimp like me, this was SPICY)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper
For the Base:
- Brown or White Rice
- Black or Pinto Beans
- Shredded Lettuce
- Chopped tomatos or pico de gallo (I’m allergic to onions so I just used tomatoes)
- Shredded monterey jack cheese
- Giant scoop of guac (recipe above)
- Siete Lime Chips (optional)
- Combine all ingredients for the steak into a large ziploc bag and shake/mix around until the steak is coated. (you can blend it all in a food processor if you want) Let steak marinate over night in the fridge or at least 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Prepare rice according to box.
- Drain beans into a strainer and rinse well. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare your toppings and guacamole! Chop tomatoes, and lettuce, use guacamole recipe above woot woot!!
- Heat olive oil over a skillet and cook steak until medium well- well done.
- Assemble!! Layer your rice and beans at the bottom of the bowl, then add your steak, then lettuce, then tomatoes or pico do gallo, then a GIANT scoop of guac (because it ain’t extra) and lastly, cheese.
- DIVE IN!!!