With Christmas only 4 DAYS AWAY I thought I’d do you a solid and share my soft, fluffy, easy sugar cookie recipe so Santa has something yummy to munch on.
I’ve spent years trying to figure out how to make the best sugar cookies from scratch, ones that don’t spread and don’t get hard 10 seconds after you take them out of the oven and by golly I think I’ve found it.
You’ll see a few unique ingredients in this recipe; almond extract, cream of tartar and sour cream, yes, sour cream. You might think I’m crazy but TRY this recipe and then let’s chat. 😉
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1.5 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 3 cups flour (I did half all purpose, half cake flour but 3 cups all purpose is just fine)
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Cream butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl using the paddle attachment until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, sour cream, vanilla and almond extract until fully incorporated
- Place a fine mesh strainer on top of your mixing bowl and add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar and sift into the mixing bowl.
- Give it a little fold to incorporate it so when you mix, the flour doesn’t go flying
- Mix until combined. Dough will be very sticky
- Transfer onto a large piece of cling wrap and wrap it into a ball.
- Dough is best if refrigerated overnight but if you are on a time crunch, pop it into the freezer for 1.5-2 hours. The colder the better!
- Flour your surface, and roll out your dough, don’t make it too thin!
- Cut out your shapes and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for about 8-10 minutes
- Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before frosting.